Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Makeshift Hospital

I will be in Kenya in less than a week. So will my new headlamp, pocket knife, shnazzy adventure pants and shoes, water purifying drops, plus various other gadgets, medications, and fashion statements that are all ready and prepared for my trek through Kenya. I could also open up a business as a pharmacy or hospital as I have the makings to fix any easy to catch and easy to cure illness or accident. Kenyan food won't be getting the best of me!

Whether or not I will actually get all of it put into a somewhat organized mess, and then fit that mess into my backpack remains to be seen. Right now it is thrown around my room in various frightening heaps that make me want to crawl under my bed and sleep (which is probably something I should do anyway as sleep has eluded me lately and I am therefore cranky and mean).

Fortunately my parents are stocking me up with all the bad food I could possibly ever want, as I am pretty sure I am going to be missing out on many of those joys come Sunday. I might feel a little guilty indulging my sweet tooth as locals riot for real food.

So if you want to talk to me before I depart...call me! I have no idea what my internet situation will be like once I get to Kenya, and therefore you might not hear from me regularly at all. My goal is to get internet access once a week, but we'll see how that pans out. Emails are always welcome (HINT HINT), and emails telling me how wonderful, beautiful, and charming I am are even more welcome.

I promise not to swim in any lakes this time. I have a feeling that my luck of catching a parasite has probably run out, and I really don't want to add suffering from trypanosomiasis to my list of adventures this next semester.

No comments: