Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Reality Hits

The past eight months have basically been a breeze, and of course that is slowly coming to an end. Well maybe not so slowly, instead I let reality crash right down on my pretty head and have realized I have tons and tons of work to complete before Kenya. Luckily I've enjoyed my last few days here, because I've since realized I need to become somewhat of an isolationist these next few weeks here so that I can actually get back into the swing of doing schoolwork. Silly me thinking I could slide by with little more than Wikipedia for the rest of my life.

My new place is quite fantastic. It did however come equipped with a ginormous cat that likes to wake me up every morning at 6 am by plopping down on me, and not going away until I acknowledge its presence and pet it for an hour. I didn't have to buy a monthly public transportation ticket because I'm actually in the city and can walk to work and most places of interest, and then hop on a bus (which then gives you a ticket that you can sneak around with for the rest of the day which is wonderful and cost effective for me) whenever I feel the urge to go somewhere a bit further. I've even found parking, and my car has been safe so far after the near loss event.

San Francisco and its hippies seem to have gotten the best of me tho, as I've decided to go vegan. Well, I'm trying it out for two weeks at least. We'll see. Soy ice cream is surprisingly delicious, and am amazed I wasn't turned on to it earlier. I think I may overdose on soy products soon and should probably do a little more research in how to avoid that. I even went crazy and bought hemp bagels...feeling every bit as ridiculous as I should for such things.

This weekend it was beautiful for a change (which of course I am paying for this week as I FREEZE!!!!) but I got outside, and built some trails through a forest and went to a music festival.

I suppose I should go back to doing real work, trying to figure out what I'm going to be doing in Kenya since I live in 25 days! Yay!!!

No comments: