Sunday, August 17, 2008

Just Following the Family Trend

It's no secret that I have two wonderful parents. It's also no secret that their wonderful children occasionally like to call in emergency requests for cross country moves and the like; whether it be to escape a crazy fiance, or because you've suddenly come down with appendicitis the day before you are moving apartments, or because you seem to have every health ailment known to mankind. Luckily, so far, the rents have come on through for each of these calls and my case was no different.

After a wonderful weekend in LA filled with poker playing, lying on the beaches of Malibu, and deciding not to be a vegan because of pancakes, cupcakes, and smoothies (only a week after first deciding to become a vegan), I returned to San Francisco exhausted, cranky, and wanting nothing more to sleep. Of course the cat that I was taking care of would have none of the third, and her ability to wake me up at 4 am every day with an eerie precision still amazes me.

By Tuesday I had received a nasty email from the woman I subleted from, and I promptly broke down in tears, called my mother and said "I just want to come home" several times while she was on her way to Long Island. My siblings and I tend to have fantastic timing in our times of need. After a few more calls to siblings and friends, who assured me I was making a good decision and not being a whiny quitter, I decided to go home. Now after a crazy cross country drive in less than three days, I am home just in time to have the Ryan family descend upon Virginia and my life to become filled with beautiful nieces and nephews and all the ridiculous noise producing toys that come with being surrounded by almost four and unders.

So although I had to leave San Francisco a week early, and missed out on every making it the Exploratorium, I instead get a week to regain my sanity and unpack/repack for Kenya, go shopping, and argue with my older brother that the butterfly stroke is legit and he should probably learn how to do it before he bashes it. As an added perk, my parents will be doing the grocery shopping which means I don't need to resort to the always nutritious array of pop tarts, chocolate bars, and trans-fat filled pastries at work to suffice as my daily lunch. This may be the most exciting of all.

Here is a selection of pictures from the summer. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm standing my ground - Bolt > Phelps. The butterfky may be hard, but so is walking on your hands, and thats not an olympic event.

MJR