Thursday, August 7, 2008

Needles, Cookers, and Water- Oh My!

This past week has had me answering the question "So is it true you work for some sort of sex hotline thing?" usually accompanied by a quizzical look, and the assumption that this could not be true. Well, it isn't true. It just happens that crazy people call me every day, and that most of my hours are spent about talking about weird, wild, and absurd things. But, to prove I'm not a sex therapist/ sexologist/ sex advice giver (which apparently friends of friends have come to believe I am), I will share the details of needle exchange.

I was a little nervous the first time I did needle exchange, fully expecting most of the clientele to be like the men on the side of the road that ask me if they can give me a sponge bath. Instead, the program has given me a new perspective on who's using drugs and how many people show up that I would never expect. IT does a lot to expel a lot of myths about drug addicts and the homeless, and has really challenged how I see this part of the population and my reaction to all the people on the streets of San Francisco. The sites are all over the city (including one 2 minutes away from my apartment which is wonderfully convenient, especially on cold and windy nights), and definitely all come with their own character. As an added bonus, I'm now also an expert on making drug paraphernalia and can make you a cooker for some dope in no time and am now the proud owner of a safe injection manual.

In other news, I'm going to LA this weekend. Most people up here in San Francisco are making fun of me for choosing to go there, but oh well. At least it won't be 50 degrees outside in the middle of August. Unfortunately, it means putting off much needed work a few days. Maybe someday I will get over my issues of procrastination.

No comments: