Friday, August 1, 2008

The Case of the Car that Should have Been Stolen

My apartment sublet ended yesterday, and although I have a place to stay for August I needed to stay at a different friends house last night. So last night I carried up a heap belongings to his house, and stuck them in a pile. As I was off to work I tried to find my car keys to go get a sweater out of my car, and when I couldn't find them I just thought they were somewhere in my pile and I would find them later when I got home.

I just so happened to walk by my car on the way to work, and saw a piece of paper that I assumed to be a ticket (although I couldn't figure out why), and so picked it up. Instead it was a note that said "Found your car keys- I am homeless and sleep on Stevenson an Duboce. My name is Brian."

Well Brian may be the greatest man ever, as he could have easily had a new car (and home for him!), plus all my belongings stashed in my trunk. It took me a bit to find him, but when I did I had the perfect timing to interfere with the mean security guard that was yelling at him.

So when I am not searching for sleeping homeless men, I am still having a wonderful time (well at least most of the time). I no longer have to commute more than 2 hours every day, which is wonderful. Although I'll no longer be living next to the projects, by no means will I have less than my fair share of addicts and overdoses. Now I'll just be even more aware of the late night ambulance runs through the Mission, where I'll be staying. At least I'm not homeless and the number of gun fights just a few blocks away will be dramatically reduced.

Yesterday my roommate locked us out of our apartment as we were moving all our stuff out. Luckily my roommate had a bit of an interesting youth and was able to break back into our apartment in a matter of minutes making me feel so safe. I then convinced her to take the day off of work and join me on an impromptu trip to Muir Woods to see the Redwoods and go hiking. It was beautiful.

29 more days until Kenya!

2 comments:

Katie said...

A homeless man who doesn't break into things, and a roommate who does. Your life is certainly interesting.

Please post more often. It keeps me entertained!

Love,
Katie

Kate said...

That homeless man story is amazing. Hope you're having good times : )

Kate