Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Luckily, I Can Dig It

So I'm in Kenya. We didn't exactly rough it like we expected it to for orientation, but it's still been an interesting experience. Our first day we were treated like real tourists and went and played with giraffes and kissed them. By kiss I mean put food pellets between our lips and have the giraffes eat them/ slobber all over us.

The touristy stuff ended there. Instead we were broken up into groups and sent on various trips throughout Nairobi. Basically they dropped us off and told us they would pick us up in four hours, and to just find out all you could. I think the real lesson was just to get used to being completely out of your comfort zone and having to rely on each other and navigate your way through the people surrounding you. My group was sent to the Nairobi (private) and Kenyatta (public) hospitals. So, since we knew absolutely nothing about either of these places we at first thought that Nairobi Hospital was the public one and we were so impressed by the facilities. Then we went to Kenyatta and realized we were very very mistaken. I was impressed with how many programs they had, but the lines were out of control and it was quite run down. It was also interesting to note how many international doctors were present at the private hospital. I think the coolest part were all the women's programs like the Gender Based Violence center and the fact that the had a program that advocated and supplied female condoms. Yay female empowerment! They also run the programs for prisoners, and so therefore we saw several inmates (with blue striped jumpsuits and matching sunhats!),

We moved locations today so we are actually in Nairobi now. We're staying in a very nice area, and it is by our school so I will have much easier internet access than expected. And when I am smart enough to charge my computer I can even take it to the coffee shop that is downstairs, get free internet access, and treat myself to a ridiculous piece of cake that is insanely cheap, and will supplement my ridiculously small diet the rest of the time which mostly consists of potatoes and tomatoes. My cravings have already begun. Bad bad sign.

Hope everything is going well in the US....I feel so removed without internet access. I do have a phone now, so if you ask I can give you my number if you are ever so inclined to spend lots of money on phone charges. Love you all.

6 comments:

The Pirate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Pirate said...

I'm glad to see you're there, safe, and off to a good start. Write often!

Marie Cox said...

Finally ... glad that you are safe in Kenya and already having adventures. Like t-rex said, write often!

Love, Rie

Lindsay and Benjamin said...

i miss you maggers :( :( have a lovely time and come back with many stories :)

Aunt Barbara said...

I am glad you are safe. I have been thinking a lot about you. Have fun and be safe!!!!
Love, Aunt Barbara

Anonymous said...

You're alive!!!!!!! We miss you so much! The fam is good though and we will have a super awesome party for your return. I want a postcard...Nat and I need Africa up in here!