Friday, June 6, 2008

Fries, not Chips

For any that didn't know, I am back in the grand ole USofA. Just in time to see Hillary give up (beautiful) and gas prices to go up $10 a barrel in one day (obviously heinous). Now I am just readjusting to America- saying fries instead of chips, flushing my toilet paper, and realizing that produce costs in this country are completely out of control.

The UK was wonderful and included a trip to Lady Fest where a Brazilian-Nigerian-Indian woman tried to pass of Sojourner Truth's "I Am a Woman" speech as her own work. Brilliant. Also saw a lovely half Romanian, half Scottish band singing feminist gypsy songs and occasional jazz covers. Fabulous.

Side note: Today I was reading an article in the New York Times about Wetlands a German book, and all the hoopla it is creating about feminism and sex. It included that Germany has the third worst wage disparity between men and women in the European Union. Can anybody guess what was one of the countries that was worse? CYPRUS!!! Surprise!!! Maybe they need a Lady Fest there. I for sure will not be organizing it, as I will never step near that island again. I do really miss their strawberries unfortunately.

I was unable to find the guards with the fantastic hats. I looked everywhere, and they were just in hiding. The one thing I wanted to see in London, and they wouldn't come out for me. Other than that the trip was pretty typical of what you would expect- all of the touristy things in London and a ton of sheep in Scotland. Scotland also included a beautiful visit with Allison Sanders and constant effort at understanding their lovely accents.

Now I'm home. I've escaped from a mono scare where I thought I might have to reconsider San Francisco. Luckily I don't have it, or strep, or any illness in fact. I guess that's what I get for skipping sleep for a week straight. I leave for San Francisco on Monday. Get there on the 15th and start to enjoy my life of luxury in my apartment on the bay with private gym and doorman. Of course that this means that my room is probably the size of my current closet, and that I will get kicked out at the end of July rendering me homeless for my remaining month. Oh what fun.

I will probably post a few times this summer, but probably not as frequently as I have (not that I have really posted that frequently on this blog). Hopefully I will be busy volunteering and working, and I doubt that you will want to know the intricate details of waitressing. Or maybe those details would provide the basis for the book I am one day going to write to clear my debts. Who knows?

Love you all.

No comments: