Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Bible Strip

Somehow, out of all the areas I could have chosen to live in, I chose the Bible belt of San Francisco. While learning how awful public transportation in San Francisco is (which is truly, truly terrible and something I will probably reiterate in every post to come), I have also been able to take in the huge number of Christian stores and churches in the neighborhood fairly close to me. Unfortunately, I am also pretty sure that it is breeding ground for drug addicts and prostitutes, and therefore don't make any plans of trudging through there on my own anytime soon. There is however a church with Samuel L. Jackson as the pastor. What do you think the chances are that it's the Samuel L. Jackson? (I just looked up his biography and nowhere does it state that he is pastor of the Philidelphia Church of Christ...shucks). I haven't been preached to directly yet, I have however been wildly entertained by crazy mothers blasting their young children (who are clearly completely uninterested) about the Lord repeatedly on the subway (which is the slowest moving mobile machine I have ever encountered).

My time at the SFAF has been uneventful up to date. I haven't been able to do much without real training which will occur this weekend. I have put stickers on thousands and thousands of condoms. Today I was supposed to be promoted to syringe packager, but my "boss" was sick, took the day off, and called me nice and early to tell me not to come in either. Luckily there is another woman there for the summer who is pretty fabulous, which will make condom-stickering much more bearable.

Other than that I have been meandering around the city. Found myself at Fisherman's Wharf yesterday and have vowed to never return. The sea lions on Pier 39 were pretty cute tho. Saw a Chihuly exhibit. Probably would have been better had I been on LSD. If only I had been here forty years ago, I would have been in the perfect city to begin such experiments. I suppose if I look hard enough I could probably still find enough people willing/already partaking in such things. I don't think I'll be putting my time in those endeavors.

Sadly I still don't have a job.

No comments: