Monday, September 15, 2008

New Life Goal: Learn to Spear Fish

I know that you all wait in daily anticipation of my blog updates, because of their undeniable charm and wonderful wit, but slow internet connections and the fact that I am constantly in class (including Saturdays), keeps me from venturing through the tedious chore of reading emails and writing here.

Kenya is absolutely wonderful, and my Swahili is going by so quickly. We have classes for three hours a day, and then more lectures in the afternoon. Sometimes we go on field trips like a walk through Kibera (the largest slum in Africa), or to the UN Headquarters to see UN Habitat, or to the Kenya National Committee on Human Rights. We've definitely met tons of amazing and interesting people.

We've also started to explore how to have fun (although time is limited for that since we're in class about 7 hours a day, and can't walk anywhere after dark). We did manage to celebrate a birthday at a fancy restaurant where I ate several people's portion sized food plus beers and spent less than $8. We also went out dancing on Saturday night and again I came to the realization of how fabulous foreign clubs are because all they play is American music from the 90s...ie the Macarana. Beautiful.

Later in the week we'll be departing for the coast where I will actually have to rough it for a bit. I'm also trying to think of a legit research project to do that involves me going to a remote village on the coast and learning how to spear fish. My original plan doesn't seem like it is going to work out because the SIT office in Vermont isn't letting us travel west of Nairobi even though it is completely safe and the US embassy has lifted all travel restrictions. So therefore I've just decided to learn one of the greatest skills ever: spear fishing, which of course will come into PLENTY of use back in the US.

I'm also planning on doing some traveling after the program, and although I really want to go see gorillas in Rwanda maybe I can do a trip through the Rift Valley of Kenya as well.

Hope all is well!

2 comments:

The Pirate said...

Um, so now you're traveling afterward and you're still not coming to see me? I think I might be offended. I guess maybe both Rwanda and the Rift Valley might be more exciting to see than your older sister, since you will likely have additional lifetime opportunities to see me, but Central Asia is feeling very neglected now, believe me.

Maggie said...

Does this mean you're funding my trip to Central Asia? In that case I am totally there, otherwise I think it is much more financially sound to change my flight home than to buy an entirely new one to visit you, although I already miss your beauty and charm.