Tuesday, March 25, 2008

This Isn't Rum

Day two of Prague included lots more adventuring, a bizarre food consisting of fried dough and ketchup, Kara's arrival, and Irish boys in Prague.

The early morning part I spent walking around and seeing more sites. I traveled along the 22 Tram and then walked around an area called Mala Strana that lies right between the Charles Bridge and the Prague castle.

I sadly couldn't find any ice cream to buy. Apparently it's not quite as popular when it is snowing. I did however try a delicious pastry, some sausages, and a not so delicious piece of fried dough called Longose which consisted of garlic sauce, ketchup, and grated cheese on top. I wasn't really expecting much from the that one, but I couldn't resist after finding something so bizarre.

Kara arrived Mondaz night and we met our new couch surfing host, Sandro. He lives way outside the center in a dorm, which turned out to be nice because we were able to meet a lot of other students and go out with them, celebrating our first Czech beers. We met people from all over Europe. All of the men at the bar felt it necessary to caress my dreads. I still cannot figure out why they thought I would like that one.

Tuesday Kara and I did all of the sites you have to do when you are in Prague such as the Castle and Charles Bridge. We also found a free tour to go on, which we took advantage of. We like all things free.

As we were crossing the Charles Bridge it turned into a blizzard. It had been snowing all morning, but it just got ridiculous at this point. And then it started to thunder, which is something I have not experienced before, snow and thunder at the same time.

And then came the best part...bagels for lunch. We have seriously been missing bagels in Cyprus and could not pass up the opportunity to eat a Bohemian Bagel. Yumyum.

Later on in the day, while we were walking the grounds of the castle, we finally found ice cream. The lady thought we were crazy as we were trying to buy it as it was snowing outside. Unfortunately, it was frozen solid and she could not scoop it out for us. Luckily, we found an indoor cafe later on and could buy our ice cream later on in the door.

Our hosts last night were fantastic. They cooked for us and took us to a Czech bar where they bought us beer and laughed at our foosball skills. Some of their friends came out with us and it was wonderful. They also thought we needed to try Czech rum (which apparently I had tried earlier in the day in the form of grog, which Kara thought was spiced wine, but instead turned out to be Czech rum with hot water....I threw it out after smelling it). They told us that the rum experience would be terrible, but insisted we must try it, so they ordered us shots. We braced ourselves, closed our eyes, and downed it. And then opened our eyes and said "That was delicious". A second later, one of the guys said "That was not rum". Apparently we had been served sherry instead, and five minutes later were forced to try the rum, which was indeed terrible.

Today we did last minute site seeing. I also got a ticket from the metro police, because I am an idiot and forgot to validate my ticket. He had nothing to do with my sweet charm and forced me to pay a fine. Boo. Then we journeyed on to Budapest where we will be until Saturday or Sunday.

Pictures will have to wait until I am on my own computer, but they will be plentiful.

Love you lots.

No comments: