Friday, March 7, 2008

The Island in Black

Cyprus must be the smokiest place on this planet. Although I haven't checked the figures, lung cancer rates must be at least as high as traffic accidents, the number of Russian mafia, and the frequency of human trafficking- which are all at the top in terms of European Union countries. I'm starting to feel as though I might as well join in while I'm here, since I am most certainly inhaling as much smoke as I would be if I chain-smoked five packs each night. Bah.

Real moral of the story: If you ever visit Cyprus, pack lots of febreeze, because if you are anything like me you will naturally be too lazy to actually do that much laundry, and walking around reeking of smoke gets tiresome fairly quickly.

They do make an attempt at least to stop it...kind of. At least in one place they did. We went to this hole in the wall restaurant the other night, where my fellow Americans and I were the only females in the place. We were also the only ways that would actually eat at 6, since Cypriots wouldn't dare to start cooking until at least 9. We were also the only ones not playing cards, and unfortunately the only ones abiding by the "No Smoking" sign hung on the wall to no avail. Gotta love the old Cypriot men.

The weather here is finally becoming nice, which in turn has made me even more of an anomaly on this island. In January I could at least wear jeans, some black boots, and only have my top half stick out like a sore thumb with my bright prints against the backdrop of gloomy black that is the Cypriot staple. Now I'm just a blatant embarrassment to Cypriot style in my flowy, colored skirts and bright tops as they still walk around with black boots, black pants, and yes- black tops. Occasionally they go a little crazy with their hair, and dye it gray. Apparently that's as drastic as they can go...I just can't fathom what they're thinking with that statement.

Other than that...not much. Ran around a lot this weekend trying to get all of my paperwork for Kenya finished. I can say that American embassies are safely guarded as I had to go through a ridiculous amount of security to have a form authorized. Got to see the Marines tucked away in their little glass box...probably as close as I will get to them for a little while longer since they are still in trouble. I've also spent a lot of time planning travel, which is turned into somewhat of a disaster. But I think it is all settled, and after not going to Berlin, and then going to Berlin, I think it is set that I will not be going to Berlin after all, but will get several extra days in Prague, Budapest, and Vienna.

Tomorrow I'll be leaving for the weekend to go to Limassol. We'll be there for Carnival celebrations as the Orthodox lent is beginning this week, and this is their Marti Gras of sorts. I think it's just because they need an excuse to be allowed to wear something other then funeral attire.

Love you and miss you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I misses you!!!! And don't smoke if you can help it. I would rather you not die.