Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Damn the Roosters

Yesterday we went to a village that's about fifteen minutes away by car. And by car I mean a very large pick-up truck with bars overhead that fit all thirteen of us standing up, a few people from the UAACC and then a few more people we picked up along the way. I had thought driving on the wrong side of unpaved roads was an adventure, but this was something else. "Duck" was yelled a little late a few too many times as tree branches crashed into our faces. It did provide absolutely amazing views of Mount Meru, and just the country side in general which is filled with goats, chicken, and cattle. The little kids were the cutest, and as they saw our truck approaching they would run up to us shouting "Mambo" (hello) and "Mzunga" (white people), and laugh like I've never heard before. When we did make it to the village, we got to walk around the marketplace handing out advertisements and posting them on store fronts. The little kids saw that we had cameras, and kept wanting us to take pictures of them, and then show them. It was adorable. On the way back, a few of us decided to be a little more courageous and sit on top of the bars, which I quickly realized was a mistake as I could no longer avoid the tree branches as skillfully as the UAACC members. I got to talk to some of the guys that live and work here, who told me I should come back after I graduate to teach English. They did the math, said to come back in 2010, but then quickly clarified that with "Unless you're married by then," and then made it clear that they thought I would be.

We were all exhausted when we got back, and we were in bed by nine. But first we got to lie out and star gaze, which is one of the most magnificent things I've ever seen, and nothing like you would see in most of the US.


Today we'll be doing our lectures and then go visit an orphanage down the road. It looks as though I'll be able to post everyday, as I seem to wake up with a few others at 4 am as the roosters start to crow. We tried to catch the sunrise, but the whole compound was locked so we couldn't get out. It looks like the morning will provide the perfect time for this.

Love you all!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Maggie! This sounds so wonderful! Enjoy every minute of it and take lots of pictures.

Love you.

Katie

Mom said...

This blog is a great way to let us know what is happening. Sounds like things are going well. Keep on enjoying it and stay out of the way of trees.

Love you lots and miss you.

Mom

The Pirate said...

I'm sure you must be joyful at having discovered the pleasures of travel in other countries. If you come visit me in Central Asia, I'll be sure to take you for a ride on a marshrutka.

Keep blogging--add pictures if you can. If you can't, I hope you're planning on sending them out when you get home.

I can't wait to hear more stories about what you're doing. Love you!

Tricia

Allison said...

Wow! It sounds like you are having a great time! You are in your element, and I love hearing about the people you get to talk to there (i.e. married by 2010 haha!)

Anyway, love ya and keep posting about all your adventures!!

Allison