Sunday, January 13, 2008

198 Tested!!!!

Well our testing days were quite successful. On both Friday and Saturday we got 99 people to get tested. Out of those, three people tested positive- all women. The really sad part was that a ten year old girl tested positive, when both of her parents tested positive, meaning that the way she most likely became infected was through rape. Learning that news was a little hard for me, and the group, to take. It's really great that we could get that many people to be tested in two days, but it was still hard to realize that our service group completely changed a person's life. I had a hard time thinking about it, and letting that information sink in, as the whole issue became a lot more real. I've never known anyone that's been tested positive, and although I didn't know these three women, or even know which three women they were, it still hit me hard.

Good news: I got tested and I'm negative. Not that I really expected it to be otherwise, but it's still always nice to know.

We also got a lot more people to come to the clinic and the UAACC when we were having the tests, so that we could do more education and condom demos. So hopefully, even those that weren't willing to be tested, walked away knowing a little more.

We didn't get to go into the city to celebrate as planned as a few members of the group were a little skeptical. It's probably for the best though. We were able to have a bon fire here, and just hang out for the night.

Today the group split up with 5 people going on a safari, and me and seven others going to a lake. I went swimming...which probably wasn't the smartest idea, but people did it last year and made it out parasite free, so I'm gonna hope for the best. A man also came up to me and declared me his wife...so maybe there is hope for me yet.

In other news....the pastry class I wanted to take in Cyprus isn't being offered next semester. I'm a little distressed. I also found out I will be living in a house with 10 girls, which has the potential of being fabulous or completely disastrous.

Just one more full day left. We're going to a secondary school tomorrow to do more education, and then packing tomorrow afternoon. We're going to prepare a nice dinner tomorrow night to thank the students and everyone that works here at the UAACC. Tuesday we'll go into the city in the morning to go to the Masai Market, and then we leave at 9:40 Tuesday night!!!

Love you all.

1 comment:

Marie Cox said...

Clean towels and clothing -including matching sock ;) - will be waiting for you at the house. Feel free to refresh yourself before we head out to Friendly's!

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow evening. I'm so glad that your trip went well.

Love you!

Rie